Adding Kam Snaps to Garments – great for baby clothes, cloth diapers and crafts!

Adding Kam Snaps to Garments – great for baby clothes, cloth diapers and crafts!
Like Tweet Pin it Share Share Email

As promised, here is a tutorial for adding the Kam snaps to a garment. I did a good bit of research deciding on which kind of snap system I would buy. Overwhelmingly it seemed that the Kam system was preferred (no affiliation.) I bought my first batch from (no affiliation.) I bought loads of different colored snaps. The snaps are easy to install. Today I am reinstalling snaps on a Romper and it is a great opportunity to show you how I do it. If you make a mistake or need to remove the snaps, I have a tutorial for that here. I rarely have to remove a snap, any errors have been my not paying close enough attention to what I was doing.

Here are the tools you will need. For each closure you will need 2 caps, 1 socket (female end), and 1 stud (male end). For this particular pattern, it is cut for the front end to be on top of the bottom end. So I will install the stud, or female end on the front or top, depending on how you think of it. I like to put 4 snaps in, so that means I need a total of 8 caps, 4 sockets, and 4 studs. I use the size 20 Kam Snaps. This is the size often used in cloth diapers and it has worked well on the size 3 mo on up baby and toddler clothes that I have sewn.

I have found that the easiest and quickest way to line things up to find where I want to place the snaps is to take the front piece of the romper and place it on top of the back piece and move it around and eyeball where I think it looks best. You will be overlapping and making sure you have enough room for the snap pieces while being careful not to allow too much. You want to make sure it all lies flat and tidy. I will peak at the underside to see that I have enough room to install the snaps securely and that it is aligned nicely where I overlap. Then I stick a couple of pins in to secure it and take my poker and poke holes through all the layers where I want to insert the snaps – front and back. I find that I get much better results in lining up the holes for the studs and sockets with a single poke as opposed to poking the holes for the socket pieces and then poking holes for the stud pieces. Even with lots of care it was not lining up as perfectly that way. When I poke through I will wiggle the poker a little if the weave is really tight and I need the hole to be a little bigger. The photo below is a reenactment since I am replacing the snaps on this romper.

Then on the top front piece I poke a cap through the first hole and the prong end is showing on the lining side, the smooth rounded cap is the side you will see on the main fabric.

Then I place the socket, or female end over the prong. I then take my pliers and place the smooth round cap in the pliers and feel that it is fitting in well and then close the pliers and apply pressure which will crush the prong and seal the unit in place. You now have half a snap! Three more to go on the top and then on to the bottom for the studs.

For the bottom of the romper closure I am inserting the stud, or male ends. It is the same process as the inserting the socket ends. This time the smooth cap will be on the inside and the stud end will be on top of your main fabric. If you are second guessing yourself, before you squeeze it shut just fold it up and see that the studs are installed so that the socket and stud meet. I took several pictures that you can use as a reference. (I am sorry my nails look rather untidy and raggedy. I have been sewing a lot and the poking with pins has taken its toll on them. Insert dramatic sigh.)

Here is a picture of the installed pieces from the lining view for reference . Test the snaps out to make sure they click in securely. If they do not, you might need to insert the piece back in the pliers and apply a little more pressure.

All snapped and ready for Baby Ford! Well, ready as soon as I iron it.

All snapped and ready to wear! I love how the colored snaps can coordinate with the outfit. I find the Kam snaps easier to work with than the metal ones you have to hammer in, and quicker to install than the snaps on tape that are sewn in. So far I have had great luck with them. I hope you find this tutorial helpful!